Below is an example of an event that our sports academy participated in.
Open to students in Grades 5, 6, and Junior High, the Sports Academy option provides students with the opportunity to have instruction and gain skills in a variety of athletics. While the main focus is on hockey (25-30%), other sport and athletic opportunities may include football, jujitsu, soccer, rugby, rock climbing, baseball, swimming, and track and field. Instruction will include part of the student’s Physical Education curriculum requirements, all of the Health Curriculum requirements, and time outlined for other subjects/option courses as stated in the Guide to Education for respective grade levels. 100% participation in activities is expected and students may not opt out of an un-preferred sport/activity. If students do not have their own hockey equipment, it can be provided. Students are responsible for the proper attire for both indoor and outdoor sports/athletics. The fee for the Sports Academy is $850 per school year. The fee includes bussing, activity costs, and instructor fees for the entire year
Thanks so much to the Town of Morinville and Tyler Edworthy for helping with this project!
A BIG SHOUT OUT to:
- Ryan Brown of True Resilience Training Systems for donating his time and expertise in Football.
- Kim Edworthy for donating his time to teach skating skills.
- Lisa and Andre Houle with Morinville Ringette for donating their time and expertise in ringette.
- Wayne Gatza with Sturgeon Hockey Association for his expertise in hockey.
- Lisa St. Onge for donating her time to teach curling.
- Steve Rooke of Rooke's Karate studio for providing karate inststruction.
Sports and Dance Instruction It is important that students receive instruction in the academy programs from qualified instructors. Instruction may come from a teacher employed with Sturgeon Public School Division or a qualified instructor that is under the supervision of a teacher.