The Sport for Life Program is based on the Canadian Sport for Life (CS4L) model, which is a movement to improve the quality of sport and physical activity in Canada through improved athlete training and better integration between all stakeholders in the sport system, including sport organizations, education, recreation and health.
The philosophy of exposure is prevalent, and students are introduced to a variety of on and off-site activities at an introductory level.
The program will be based on the following curriculum:
PROGRAMS OF STUDY
TOPICS of STUDY
- Open to grades 5-9 for the 2018-2019 school year. Students receive instruction of core subjects: Mathematics, Science, Social, Language Arts.
- It replaces the complimentary classes in grades 5 & 6.
- In grades 7,8 & 9 It replaces one of their complimentary classes.
- Students still take one complimentary class per term along with SFL.
- All classes will be supervised by certified teachers.
- For specialty sports, certified instructors will be employed to ensure correct training and implementation.
- Based on Canadian Sport for Life (CS4L) and Long-Term Athlete Development (LTAD), a developmental pathway whereby athletes follow optimal training, competition, and recovery regimens.
Please review the 2018-2019 Sport for Life Brochure Registration.
Thanks so much to the Town of Morinville and Tyler Edworthy for his continued support with this project!
Also, A BIG SHOUT OUT to:
Tyler Dziwenka for donating his time teaching baseball.
Tyler Edworthy for donating his time teaching martial arts.
Wayne Gatza with Sturgeon Hockey Association for his expertise in hockey.
Lisa and Andre Houle with Morinville Ringette for donating their time and expertise in ringette.
Lisa St. Onge for donating her time to teach curling.
It is important that students receive instruction in the academy programs from qualified instructors. Instruction may come from a teacher employed with Sturgeon Public School Division or a qualified instructor that is under the supervision of a teacher.